So I thought I'd start a blog. It seemed like a good idea. Felt like a good idea. Smelled like a good idea. And then I went to write my first post and my entire being started screaming 'NO this is NOT a good idea AT ALL. It's a very, very BAD idea. Very bad. Don't do it. No one wants this or needs this. STOP. NOW."
And the thing is, the world doesn't need another blog. It surely doesn't need another blog with the word ''mom" in the title. And it really doesn't need another photo of another kid, or another painting or another piece of pottery.
Really, if we never produced another one of these small shreds of creative output no one would ever notice.
Except, they would. Eventually. Because we'd all shrivel up and get empty eyes, with our half read copies of The Artist's Way gathering dust under the bed and our children shivering at the thought of becoming us.
So, the world may not need another blog - but I do. I need to dredge up the courage to devote time and energy and optimism to something that no one asked for and that no one needs. Something for me. Something honest and true and cliched and drippy and kind of defensive, maybe a little funny, and sometimes wise.
Something that likely few will read, but that anyone could read. Scary.
Something that's, above all, MINE.
God, I love the internet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
About Me
- Meredith
- In April 2010 we relocated from Toronto to Hong Kong. These are our adventures.
No comments:
Post a Comment